The Department of Economics as an organizational part of the Faculty of Economics, at Ss. Cyril and Methodius University in Skopje. The Department is looking at ways to integrate sustainable economics in the curriculum.
Ss. CYRIL AND METHODIUS UNIVERSITY IN SKOPJE is a public university founded in 1949. It is the biggest, oldest and the best institution for high education in the R. of Macedonia. Ss. Cyril and Methodius University is an autonomous, scientific and higher educational university which provides teaching, scholar and applied activities in technical, natural sciences and mathematics, bio-technical, artistic, medical and social sciences. Ss. Cyril and Methodius University includes 23 faculties, 5 research institutes, 4 public scientific institutions, and 7 other institutions and organizations. At the moment almost 50000 students are enrolled at the University, and 2700 teaching, research and associate academic staff work here.
The Faculty of Economics is the largest educational and research institution in Macedonia in the area of business and economics. It was founded in 1950. Almost 5000 students are enrolled at the moment, and 66 teaching, research and academic staffs work at this institution. Its mission is to provide a continuous education of highly qualified professional, by offering high quality programs in business and economics. The Faculty of Economics also provides professional services and research for private companies as well as for the public sector.
The Department of Economics is one of the 8 departments at the Faculty of Economics; it introduces continuous development of the studies. It was established for the first time in 1959. Almost 600 students are enrolled at the moment, and 17 teaching, research, and academic staff work at this institution.
The objective of the study program in Economics is to provide the students the profound knowledge in the area of economics, as well as specific skills for application of the knowledge in practice. Aimed at accomplishing these objectives, the study program covers the theoretic aspects of this area, also focusing on their practical application.
Operational management of the Project will be dedicated to the Centre for economic research (CER). Namely, the Centre for Economic Research is an organizational unit within the Faculty of Economics of the “Ss. Cyril and Methodius” University in Skopje. Its mission is to foster and support the market oriented reforms in the Republic of Macedonia, in order to enable the more efficient implementation of the euro-integration processes of the country, as well as to actively support the Macedonian companies in creating and improving their competitive advantages. The vision is to enhance the role of CER as leading and most prominent economic research centre in analyzing macroeconomic and microeconomic aspects of social and economic development of the Republic of Macedonia.
The Centre for Economic Research is engaged in the following activities:
- Research and analysis of significant socio-economic problems and phenomena
- Preparation and implementation of scientific, research and development projects, such as:
- Collaboration projects with the foreign embassies in the Republic of Macedonia
- Collaboration projects with international institutions (UNDP, USAID, GTZ, etc.)
- Collaboration projects with different Ministries, Agencies and Funds within the Government of the Republic of Macedonia
- Collaboration projects with the Chambers of Commerce and Trade Unions,
- Collaboration projects with the private sector (management, marketing, accounting, finance, e-business and other services),
- Conferences, seminars, workshops, training,
- Other activities (micro and macroeconomic analysis, support of the EU integration process of the Republic of Macedonia, etc.).
In regard to the financial management of the Project, it will be run within the University. In fact, the accounting for every international project realized by Ss. Cyril and Methodius University is dedicated to the accounting bureau at Rector’s office.
Role of UKIM in the project:
- Coordinate the mapping exercise in Macedonia and complete the template for data collection.
- Assist in the development of an online platform of resources as well as get familiarised and review the online tool.
- Translate project materials into the national language.
- Contribute to the bi-annual newsletters.
- Provide feedback to the Monitoring and Evaluation (M&E) framework.
- Contribute to the dissemination and exploitation of the project outputs, outcomes and future network activities.
- Participate and actively contribute to the discussions generated in regional and annual meetings, seminars and conference.
Operational and financial management:
- The project team will coordinate the above administrative and academic project activities.
- Financial administration will be handled by project team who will liaise internally with the institution’s finance department.