The University of Ljubljana is today the central and the largest research and educational institution in Slovenia with:
• 30 % of all research activities
• 64 % of all student population in the country.
The University of Ljubljana has 23 faculties and 3 arts academies with 50.000 students, 6.000 teachers, researchers and administrative staff. The University is looking into ways to integrate sustainability into the curriculum.
University of Ljubljana is an autonomous educational, scientific research and artistic institution of higher education with special status. Through its Members, the University conducts the educational, scientific research, artistic, academic and other activities. It practices basic, applied and development research, striving for excellence and quality of the highest standard in all fields of science and arts, such as the humanities, social sciences, linguistics, arts, medicine, natural sciences and technology. Achievements in the fields of science and arts are shared with other universities and institutions carrying out scientific research. The University works in co-operation with various economic institutions, with the government and local authorities as well as other civil institutions. In this way it encourages the harnessing and application of its research and educational achievements and contributes to social development.
The Faculty of Arts in the founding member of the University of Ljubljana and so it has a long, well-established tradition of excellence in teaching and research, and attracts students from all parts of Slovenia, as well as from neighboring countries. The Faculty of Arts has over 100 BA, MA and PhD programs, around 7000 students and 650 teachers, researchers and administrative staff.
The Faculty of Arts produces highly-educated individuals with an open, questioning and progressive approach to the humanities and social sciences. Particular emphasis is placed on the strengthening of national academic areas that help to shape Slovenian identity. The faculty cultivates research work, supports inter-disciplinarity, opens up new academic areas, and creates new educational programmes for its students. The uncovering of new scientific and academic knowledge is included in the process of study in such a way as to develop the level of quality required for Slovenia's self-awareness and the faculty's creative presence in the international sphere. Within the Faculty of Arts, Department of Geography in recent decades developed theoretical and practical background for teaching, researching and implementing sustainable development from local to global level. A special course of study, named Geographical Environment Protection, was established in 1990-ies, and became label of Slovenian Geography. Education of Sustainable development and protection of environment at Department of Geography is also important quality which is disseminated in many national and international education seminars, workshops, summer schools , etc. for school teachers, local stakeholders and different experts from various fields.
Role of ULJ in the project:
- Coordinate the mapping exercise in Slovenia and complete the template.
- Assist in the development of an online platform of resources as well as get familiarised and review the online tool.
- Contribute to the bi-annual newsletters.
- Provide feedback to the Monitoring and Evaluation (M&E) framework.
- Contribute to the dissemination and exploitation of the project outputs, outcomes and future network activities.
- Participate and actively contribute to the discussions generated in regional and annual meetings, seminars and conference.
Operational and financial management:
- The project team will coordinate the above administrative and academic project activities.
- The accounting of work is within the university of Ljubljana – Faculty of Arts.