The Institute of Sustainable Education (ISE) at Daugavpils University was founded in 2003 as a scientific research structural unit of the Faculty of Education and Management. The main research fields of ISE are pedagogy, pedagogical and developmental psychology, management, as well as integrative research in the field of education and management. ISE, in practice and in research, supports sustainability values and is working towards embedding Education for Sustainable Development (ESD) principles into its teaching and research. The researchers of the institute are working towards implementing ESD competences in organizing teacher training programs, by putting the main focus on students and staff learning in the area of sustainability.
The aim of ISE is to carry out scientific research promoting investigation and implementation and encourages the development of education oriented towards the aim of sustainable development. ISE consists of three departments: department of scientific research, department of international projects and department of scientific editions. The most important tasks of ISE are: developing scientific work in the faculty, developing of master and doctoral programs in education and management, and developing a vision and methodological basis for sustainable development in education. The Institute has a collaboration network with all the faculties of Daugavpils University, with Teacher Training Institutions of Latvia, Scientific Council of Academy of Science of Latvia as well as with Ministry of Education and Science of Latvia.
We are working towards developing ESD competences through professional development in local and international levels of BBCC (Baltic and Black sea Consortium in Education Research) by carrying out joint research projects, publications, and international conferences with the aim to enhance quality academic practice in the area of sustainability.
Role of ISE in the project:
- Contribute to the mapping exercise in Latvia.
- Assist in the development of an online platform of resources as well as get familiarised and review the online tool.
- Contribute to the bi-annual newsletters.
- Translate project materials into the national language.
- Provide feedback to the Monitoring and Evaluation (M&E) framework.
- Contribute to the dissemination and exploitation of the project outputs, outcomes and future network activities.
- Participate and actively contribute to the discussions generated in regional and annual meetings, seminars and conference.
Operational and financial management:
- The project team will coordinate the above administrative and academic project activities.
- Financial administration will be handled by the project team who will liaise internally with the institution’s finance department.