The University of Cyprus is a public University, established in 1989. The Department of Education is a department with 35 faculty members who have expertise in environmental education and are interested in networking and learning in the area of sustainable development.
The Department has two undergraduate (primary and pre-school education) programs and four postgraduate programs. The Learning in Science Group is a research group within the department of Educational Sciences, which includes three faculty members, who are active in research into inquiry-oriented teaching and learning, conceptual models, epistemology, conceptual understanding and the development of thinking and reasoning. The group implements an extensive research programme that emphasizes inquiry-oriented teaching and learning. Additionally, the group has a PGCE teacher preparation programme for secondary education teachers including in Physics, Chemistry, Biology and Environmental Education. The group also has a co-ordinating role in the graduate programme Learning in Science, is extensively involved in the PGCE programme and has involvement in both the undergraduate teacher education programmes.
Role of UCY in the project:
- Coodinate the mapping exercise in Cyprus and complete the template for data collection.
- Assist in the development of an online platform of resources as well as get familiarised and review the online tool.
- Contribute to the bi-annual newsletters.
- Provide feedback to the Monitoring and Evaluation (M&E) framework.
- Contribute to the dissemination and exploitation of the project outputs, outcomes and future network activities.
- Participate and actively contribute to the discussions generated in regional and annual meetings, seminars and conference.
Operational and financial management:
- The project team will coordinate the above administrative and academic project activities.
- Financial administration will be handled by the project team who will liaise internally with the institution’s finance department.